Monday, April 25, 2016

Inside Out Studio - Product Information

My Inside Out Studio creations are fun things I make with processes I enjoy, that I don’t get to use with my landscape-inspired wall art. I love fabric and color…and I love plants, gardens, and cooking…plus, I love printmaking. So, I found ways to bring those things together!

Here’s more info about the different products I make right here in Montpelier:

About My Design Process:

  • I sketch my designs, then transfer them onto a linoleum block, which I then hand carve very carefully.
  • Usually I test the design by printing onto paper first, and will carve any adjustments I’d like made.    
About The Clothing:
First an important note: I wish that I could afford to work with blanks that are all organic cotton, only sewn in the US. However, the pricing for this kind of quality is such that I would not be able to sell them and get a proper return on the investment. I strive to make my original printed clothing affordable for regular people like me, and often don't charge enough as it is! Thank you for your understanding.
  • Each shirt is 100% cotton, and starts out white.
  • I purchase the blanks and enhance them with original dye and design work.
  • Four of the Women’s styles are sewn in the US (California).
  • The Hanes Men’s T’s and Women’s V-Necks are sewn in Honduras or El Salvador. One Women's Scoop style (cap sleeve) is sewn in the US (California), another scoop style from a different company is sewn in Bangladesh.
About My Dye Process:
  • I dye each piece in small batches using a professional textile dye, salt and fixative.
  • They are machine washed twice (once in hot, once in cold) to take out excess dyes.
  • They are shrunk once in a hot dryer.
About My Clothing Printing Process:
  • A white block is often (but not always!) printed first onto the clothing, so that colors in main print stand out.
  • The design block is printed after the first block is dry.
  • Color is put on the block using brushes, since I like the texture that brushstrokes add.
  • I use Professional Textile Paints, which, when heat set, are permanent and wash-fast.
  • When prints are dry, each one is heat-set by hand with high temperature to ensure permanence.
About My Festive Flags:
  • My own unique take on the Tibetan Prayer Flag, these are sure to brighten all spaces!
  • First I cut and then sew each flag (cotton crinoline fabric).
  • Some of the colors are hand-dyed, some stay white. 
  • The dyed ones get washed w. the professional sudsy stuff.
  • Designs are Hand-Block Printed, using the same method as with the clothing.
  • They are heat-set for permanence.
  • Then I assemble prints into groupings, and string them onto yarn & cording.
About My Greeting Cards or Framed Artwork:
  • Using blank greeting cards, I print the fronts with a design block using acrylic paint.
  • Once dry, I print the back of the cards with my four-leaf clover block design
  • When the backs are dry, I fold the cards, and hand-sign each card.
  • Labels for mix packs are created and printed.
  • Mix packs get assembled with ribbon and a label.
  • Clear plastic bags are used to store the cards and keep them safe & clean.
  • Framed artwork: the print is put into a frame, which comes with its’ own hanging fixture.
About My Tea Towels:
  • They are high-quality 100% Linen
  • The blank towels are purchased from a company in Massachusetts.
  • I hand-print and heat-set each one, using the same process and inks as with clothing.
About My Patchwork Hats:
  • Designer fabrics are mixed with silks, velvets, denim, corduroy, knits, wools, etc.
  • I play with the colors and textures, cutting out pieces to assemble together into a hat.
  • They are reversible, so it’s two hats in one!
  • I use a serger sewing machine to sew the pieces together.
  • The brims are then hand-sewn.
  • Each one is One-of-a-Kind!

No comments:

Post a Comment